Actively retired in a Florida Continuing Care Retirement Community
There’s always something to do at Village On The Isle. The recreation department presents well-balanced and enriching activities for our residents. It is through a combination of social, educational, spiritual and physical events that our seniors are fulfilled. Social engagements such as dinner parties, film viewings, musical concerts, bridge and happy hour are offered. Some of our recent outings have been to: The Big Cat Habitant, Bok Towers, The Key Lime Festival at Fisherman’s Village, Solomon’s Castle, Rays baseball field, The Venice Symphony, Venice Concert Band, The Venice Theatre and The Lemonbay Theatre. We’ve seen performances from such acts as Les Gowan, Bill Milner, and Sparrow in our Renaissance Room.
We’ve also improved our driving with a 55+ driving class presented by AAA, and improved our technology skills with our iPad class keeping our residents connected! Join us as we look forward to more educational challenges and classes being offered in the future.
Physical health is also emphasized at VOTI. Multiple fitness classes are offered every weekday ranging from cardio and body toning to swimming, Wii games, and Tai Chi.
Spiritual fulfillment comes in many forms within our community. Even though we are affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, we seek to provide activities that will grant satisfaction to those with various religious beliefs and practices, as well as for individuals seeking spiritual answers. Rev. Don Hillerich and visiting spiritual leaders from different faiths provide a mid-week service each week.
The Recreation Department tries to offer a wide range of opportunities for fun, so don’t forget to check your monthly calendar of events, or tune into our VCTV on channel 195, with twenty-four hour access to some of our upcoming events:
1. July 4 – patriot music with Frank Alvarez and the Crow’s Nest for their special 4th of July dinner and fireworks viewing
2. July 8 – Lunch at O’Bricks and a trip to see the DaVinci Machines Exhibit at the Bradenton Auditorium
3. July 9 – Entertainment by Al Lister
4. July 11 – Veterans’ Lunch at the Elks Club
5. July 13 – Stepping out to dinner at Lock & Key
6. July 15 – Shopping at Port Charlotte Mall
7. July 22 – Lunch at the Breakfast House
8. July 23 – Dance demonstration by Fred Astaire Dance Studio
9. July 26 – Ringling Museum –Fakes and Forgeries
In August we will have guest speaker present on the topic of “Stress” and we’ll visit the Bishop Planetarium, South Florida Museum and the Parker Manatee Aquarium. Looking forward to seeing you at the next event!!
by Kathleen Campbell, Recreation Director